Thursday, April 8, 2010

A Memoir of Learning English

MY EARLY education began in a small village near Malacca-Negeri Sembilan border. As I scored 5As in Penilaian Darjah 5, I was placed at Sekolah Muzaffar Syah (formerly known as Sekolah Menengah Sains Malacca).

I was put in Set 3 for English after a proficiency test. There were 5 sets for 120 students. Learning English was sometimes fun. Besides grammar, summary and writing lessons, we sang a lot of songs and studied the lyrics thoroughly.

We had to do a depth study about one book a month for the English reader’s class. I never enjoyed the books except one book entitled A Black Tulip. The other books couldn’t catch my attention as I read a lot of Enid Blyton’s stories in Malay, however, at primary school. I tried to read the books in English version but found the language difficult. I had to search the meaning of the words in a dictionary frequently.

An unexpected incident happened and I was put out of the school though I got 7As and C3 in English for SRP. I was a quite rebellious teenager then. I continued my study at Sekolah Ghafar Baba.

Here, learning English was solely formal and examination oriented. I always slept in the class. I either read for the class or wrote essays on the blackboard whenever I got fed-up with the way the class was handled. Eventually I scored C3 in SPM.

A TESL graduate teacher from US University joined the school when I was in form 5. She taught the next class, 5 Science 2. We, the 5 Science 1 students looked at each other every time they sang “Making love out of nothing at all” by Air Supply. Thousand apologise Puan R.

At university, I faced no difficulty in learning Science and Mathematics although the references were in English. The problem was and still is the understanding of the concepts.

The management subjects, on the other hand, enhanced my vocabulary. It’s made my life after that easier. I really enjoyed the translation process for the assignments and later on for the final year dissertation. References in English and presentations in Malay avoid plagiarism.

In the meantime, my elder brother reminded me to master the speaking part to be prepared for the job interviews. For the past years we were excel more in writing compare to speaking. An IELTS result later gave me confidence in using English for extensive communication. I scored the highest mark in speaking and 7.0 out of 9.0 bands in overall. The examiner was a little bit shock when he finally found out I am a ‘kampong’ girl.

My fair understanding of the language enabled me to choose whatever job I like. I was appointed as a American Degree Programme lecturer a week after my final exam. My flexible and easy going personality made my life with the expatriates from different English speaking countries cheerful. Although sometimes I misunderstood the way they pronounced the words.

Furthermore, my balanced left and right brain caused me trouble. Since I taught both Chemistry and Management subjects, it was really hard sometimes to pronounce certain words correctly. It is a bond in chemistry and yet another bond in business? Am I having dessert in a desert? How should I differentiate tenor in music and tenure for the period?

As English became my primary language, my brain is trained to extract the knowledge. The process of working with the language became smooth. I found the beauty in the language as well. Writing becomes easier. I can play with the words. Writing an English novel is no more just a dream. It can be a reality for anyone with an average level of English (The Writers Bureau, UK).

The frequent use of please, kindly, excuse me, generates the pleasant character in me. I can tell someone off in a more polite and cool manner. Every discussion and consultation sounds more diplomatic.

As English became my primary language, my brain is trained to extract the knowledge. The process of working with the language became smooth. I found the beauty in the language as well. Writing becomes easier. I can play with the words. Writing an English novel is no more just a dream. It can be a reality for anyone with an average level of English (The Writers Bureau, UK).

The frequent use of please, kindly, excuse me, generates the pleasant character in me. I can tell someone off in a more polite and cool manner. Every discussion and consultation sounds more diplomatic.

My comments in Malay always end up with feedback such as “Lasernya.” Sadly to say, so far I have only received one credit for giving comments in poetic Malay language, for not forgetting the beautiful classical Malay style. For example, ‘Naik komuter air-condnya rosak, membuat hati jadi bengkak.’ (The air-condition in the commuter was not working, so it made me angry) Another example is ‘Ikan kembung siikan tenggiri, pelancong sendiri dianaktiri.’(two types of fishes, local tourists are unlucky) (More can be read at my blog)

My unquiet mind then becomes more and more critical. It shouldn’t be a handcraft. It should be fingers craft. We use fingers, not hands. Effort (usaha) alone cannot create an entrepreneur. A successful businessman either. So ‘usahawan’ is not practical at all.

Continually, I discovered the therapeutic benefits from the usage of English in journal writing. I can be brutally frank about myself. Since my past life was a battle, I become more positive day by day. Writing in Malay, nevertheless, made me depressed!

Learning is a never ending adventure. References are still to be made for effective English communication. A good dictionary, a book of synonyms and antonyms, a book about idioms and phrases as well as a lot of reading are necessary to master the language.

A chance of mastering any languages at early childhood is a huge advantage. Continues practise, the seriousness and commitments would raise the standard. Yet we don’t have to follow the English or American accent. We don’t have to be embarrassed if our pronunciations are not correct. Just laugh with the audiences.

Even though I have had English articles accepted for publication since 1995, I still envy those who can add bombastic and extraordinary words in their writing.

So I read more novels and non-fiction books. In fact, I have bought a few sets of Grolier’s book and other children reference books. I often force my nephews and nieces to read them. My nieces at Bandar Baru Bangi (a new township) appreciate. My nephew at Telok Mas (a small city) declines.

I actually see no improvement within the children particularly in rural areas. It still goes back to square one, to the days when those from the cities used the language fluently. Back to the time when those children from good income parents master the language. Moreover, more and more mothers would feel like my mother. Feeling regret the whole life because she couldn’t help her children learning the language. And now she can’t chat with her grandchildren in English.

From English teachers’ viewpoint, they are excited because the kids are well exposed to more information and knowledge. A dedicated science teacher like me (I taught Chemistry and Physic before) wants the maximum enjoyment and it only can be gotten if the study of the subjects is in our mother tongue.

Perhaps my younger brother experience could help the educationists make a smart move. My brother scored 2As in both of his A-Level Mathematics subjects. He was selected to do Mathematics at Cambridge University in 1993. Unfortunately he failed on the 7th interview – the general knowledge section. (The interview was divided into 7 phases). If his option was sport, a history could have been made.

Definitely one of the tests was English proficiency test. It is a pre-requisite for UK universities entrance. The fact is he gained the opportunity for the beauty of his brain. Not because of his articulate ness. He did not query whether the question was about lodging or logging? The test was done orally. His mind was exhausted after so many Mathematical questions.

For a much stronger fact, I want to add a few about my husband. He passed his SPM English with P8. He had a long journey before finally obtained a degree in Engineering from UiTM. He is now working with expatriates from around the world for a USD17 billion project. Later on, God willing (InsyaAllah), he might be needed for a USD250 billion project.

In technical fields, a good communication skill helps. Still, it is your determination, your willingness, your energy and enthusiasm, your personality that counts.

Success demand self-discipline, perseverance and hard work. Brilliant alone is never enough.

As a conclusion, I was always an unfavourable business and management lecturer except for the VIP and expatriates children. One of them once commented, “You’re the teacher that we always hungered for.”

A chemistry theory; like dissolves like should be applied. English speaking teachers for English speaking students. Gifted children should be taught by gifted teachers. Greatest teachers produced greatest students.

“Do it now for tomorrow could never be better.”

Notes: This is the revised edition. The first edition (without the red colour) was sent to THE STAR on April 21, 2009.

No comments: